In its latest meeting, the Board of Trustees of CyI concluded that 2015 has been the most successful year of operation for the Institute, since its establishment. During the meeting, the Board reviewed the progress made in 2015, refined the strategic goals for 2016 and approved the 2016 budget.
Prior to the Board meeting a detailed evaluation of its research activity was conducted by the International Scientific Council of CyI. Based on publications, secured competitive funds, etc., 2015 was considered scientifically as the most productive year thus far. During 2015 The Cyprus Institute secured competitive funding of over 5.0 million Euro for its research activities, an amount exceeding the amount of funding received from national resources. The findings of the Council were reported to the Board of Trustees.
Six new memebers were appointed to the Board of Trustees during the meeting:
- Prof. Michael Cates, Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge, a world leading theoretical physicist.
- Dr Günay Çerkez, an Electrical Engineer and Businessman. He served as President of the Turkish Cypriot Chamber of Commerce.
- Prof. Wajih Owais is a senator in the Jordanian Senate who previously served as Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research.
- Ms Egly Pantelakis is the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Education and Culture of Cyprus.
- Dr Janez Potočnik is a Slovenian politician currently serving as co-chair of the UN International Resource Panel. He was previously European Commissioner for the Environment, and European Commissioner for Science and Research.
- Prof. Harold Varmus is a Nobel Prize laureate in Medicine and the Lewis Thomas University Professor of Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College. He has previously served as Director of both the National Institutes of Health and the National Cancer Institute, and as President of the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
The Institute's ability to attract world class personalities in the Board of Trustees, participating pro bono, is indicative for its international standing and recognition.